Thursday, March 28, 2019

I have booked a Studio Shoot! Now what?


Have you ever considered booking a studio shoot? But you're scared of the unknown?

I totally understand! This is not something one does on a regular basis - or something anyone prepares you for, as far as family and friends are concerned! I mean, I'm a photographer myself and I booked my wife, my granddaughter and myself for a (first) studio shoot recently, just to know what it's like from an 'outsider's point of view! Ironically the one that enjoyed it most was my granddaughter because she jumped at the opportunity without any fears or preconceptions!

Let me quickly run you through a few important points (as I see them), just in case you consider a studio shoot soon!

Get there rather too early than just on time
  • It gives you time to relax as you study the venue and to get used to the sounds and other activities around you.
    Pack a smile
    • Have fun! You have paid for this opportunity so make the most of it! A friendly attitude will help your photographer relax and come up with a few more ideas to make the shoot interesting!
    Pack an extra dress and/or your favourite props
    • Usually your studio photographer will specify that your studio shoot includes one or more dress changes. Unless you go to a theme-venue like Pretville where suitable clothing will be provided, remember to pack some clothing for your dress changes;
    • Always wanted to pose with your grandma's 'funny hat'? Now this is the time - take it with! Very few photographers (if any at all) would refuse interesting ideas or poses!   
    Pack your hair brush and your make-up
    • Unless your shoot includes a make-up artist, remember to pack whatever is needed to make you feel clean and respectable. If you're unsure of your looks, the camera will highlight your uncertainty. 
    Match your clothing styles if you get photographed with others
    • If you're unsure about complementing / clashing colour schemes, feel welcome to discuss that with your photographer BEFORE pitching up for your shoot;
    • Even more important: try to support a particular style. A wedding dress do not match a man's short pants and tekkies too well! 😄 Neither a lady's designer dress with a man's torn denim pants and rugged T-shirt! 😉 Common sense is a great virtue here!
    Go with an open mind 
      • Be a sport. Don't go with preconceived ideas about what you will and will not do (within ethical guidelines, of course!). Let your photographer guide you into specific poses but don't be shy to suggest some of your own.
      Don't be shy to share a few ideas of your own
      • Remember we're living in the digital age. If a photo does not work, you can simply delete it! Try out a few poses of your own. Grab a few of the studio's own props and enjoy yourself!
      • Do your homework before the day of the shoot. If there's a particular pose or idea which you would like to try for yourself, take a snapshot with your mobile phone's camera and as your shoot nears its end, show it to your photographer and tell him/her 'I wanna try this! It may challenge him/her with something new for a change and he/she will thank you for it!
      Summary
      • This is your shoot! Enjoy every minute of it and make the most of it!
      For a few samples of my own studio shoots, just click here!

      If I have interested you in doing a shoot of your own (I hope I did), why not book one right now by clicking here?

      No comments:

      Post a Comment